11-year-old thanks medics after crash

Dr Richard Lyon, Dr Sara Robinson, Dr Angela Oglesby and Dr Krishna Murthy meet Luke and mum Kelly. Picture: comp
Dr Richard Lyon, Dr Sara Robinson, Dr Angela Oglesby and Dr Krishna Murthy meet Luke and mum Kelly. Picture: comp
Have your say

A BOY who woke from a coma on Christmas Day has thanked the team of medics who saved his life.

Brave Luke Minto, 11, nearly died after suffering terrible injuries when he was knocked down crossing the street near his home in Whitburn.

His head injuries were so severe, Luke’s only chance of survival was to be put into an induced coma while he was rushed hospital to protect his airways and prevent further damage to his brain.

Sister Chelsea, 13, ran to fetch his mum and dad while staff at a nearby supermarket called for an ambulance.

“It was terrifying, there was blood coming out of his ears. He was screaming in pain. We were just trying to comfort him,” said dad Derek, 38.

“We got there just before the ambulance arrived and then they recommended the special trauma team came. When we got to the A&E at Sick Kids, they basically told us he was dying.

“We only knew he was going to pull through when he woke up on Christmas Day. The nurse asked him his age and he put both his hands up for ten.”

The Medic One response team, made up of doctors and nurses who specialise in administering emergency medicine at the scene of an incident, was dispatched.

The team worked to stabilise Luke, who had suffered a fractured skull, bleeding on the brain, a compound break to his leg, badly bruised ribs and blood on his lungs.

He was unconscious for nearly a week before opening his eyes to learn he was missing Christmas.

The family, including brothers Derek, eight, and Finlay, six, all celebrated a few weeks later, keeping the tree up until the end of January.

Mum Kelly, 34, said: “It was the best Christmas present ever. Without the actions of the Medic One team my 
son wouldn’t be with me today. The team are unbelievable and they don’t get enough credit.”

The Polkemmet Primary School pupil is recovering well after undergoing a number of operations to fix his leg. He goes to school two full days and half-days the rest of the time. He still has trouble with his memory but wanted to meet the professionals who saved his life.

He said: “I was excited but a bit nervous to meet the doctors. It was good to go in the ambulance because I don’t remember the first time.

“The only thing I remember about the accident is waking up in intensive care on Christmas Day and being a bit upset I’d miss Christmas and New Year.”

Dr Richard Lyon, specialty registrar in emergency medicine at NHS Lothian, said: “It is fantastic to see him and his family and we are all delighted he has made such an amazing recovery.”