Holly’s on the mend after liver transplant

Holly recovering from her operation in a specialist unit in Birmingham Children's Hospital. Picture: contributed
Holly recovering from her operation in a specialist unit in Birmingham Children's Hospital. Picture: contributed
Share this article
Have your say

BRAVE baby Holly Harrison is recovering well after doctors performed a liver transplant on the poorly tot.

The family of the one-year-old was devastated a fortnight ago when she was rushed to Birmingham for the operation – only to be told the donor liver was too big.

But they are now hoping this one will be a perfect fit and the initial signs are good following the risky procedure carried out last week.

Holly was diagnosed with a rare cancer just weeks ago after she was taken to the Sick Kids with flu-like symptoms.

Mum Nyree, 40, became worried when she was not her usual happy self, was running a temperature and being very sick.

Doctors immediately started Holly on chemotherapy and hoped they would be able to operate to remove the grapefruit-sized tumour. But a decision was made to place her on the transplant register amid fears the cancer had grown so big, it had taken over the vital organ.

Just the day after she was put on the register, the family was told a liver had become available and they were rushed to Birmingham Children’s Hospital, only for it to be cancelled at the eleventh hour.

They were sent back home to Niddrie and faced an anxious wait until another donor could be found.

Now the family is hopeful that little Holly is on the mend and posted pictures of her smiling and sitting up in hospital.

Nyree broke the good news on Facebook and thanked ­everyone for their support.

She said: “Hi everyone that supports Holly. She has had her transplant off the breathing machine and doing good so far, thanks so much again to everyone xxx”.

Friends, family and local businesses have rallied to help Holly since she was diagnosed with the disease earlier this year, creating the group Helping Wee Holly.

Messages of support have flooded in with friend Louise Kerr one of many to send best wishes. She put: “Fantastic news on your transplant ­princess, stay strong and keep smiling thinking of you and your mummy and family.”

Mum-of-four Nyree became concerned when the usually happy and smiling youngster was running a high temperature and being repeatedly sick.

She took Holly to the local doctor’s surgery before later rushing her to the Sick Kids, where she was immediately put on oxygen to treat a respiratory infection. Experts believe Holly was born with the rare type of cancer, mainly seen in over-65s and affecting just 15 in every 100,000 children aged under four. She would almost certainly have died if it had been left untreated. Holly is still recovering in the specialist ­hospital in Birmingham but Nyree hopes she will be able to bring her back home to her brother and sisters soon.

Dad gets first cuddle with tiny Emily

MIRACLE baby Emily Cressey has enjoyed her first cuddle with daddy.

Alan Coultas finally got to hold his tiny daughter more than five weeks after she was born, 16 weeks early.

Emily, who weighed just 1lb 3oz when she was born on February 27, was so premature she could legally have been aborted.

But after receiving care at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, she is thriving and now weighs just over 1lb 10oz.

Mum Claire, 34, got to hold her for the first time for 20 minutes on Mother’s Day while Alan looked after their other children.

She said it was the “best moment” of her life. And proud dad Alan’s patience paid off as he got to spend time with the plucky youngster, who has now been taken off the continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine. She now just has an oxygen tube in her nose, as she approaches six weeks old.

The family posted new pictures on Emily’s Journey – a page documenting her progress on Facebook, and showed her wearing tiny clothes for the first time.

Claire wrote: “Another emotional weekend for us, after waiting for just over five weeks Alan gets to hold Emily Grace for the first time, amazing moment for us all to share.

“Thank you for caring enough to want to see, everyone’s support means everything to our family.”