Mum Amanda Cox died of a brain haemorrhage, investigations confirm

Amanda Cox. Picture: TSPL
Amanda Cox. Picture: TSPL
Have your say

A new mum who died in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary days after giving birth to her premature baby son succumbed to a brain haemorrhage, her death certificate has confirmed.

Tragic Amanda Cox was discovered slumped unconscious and barely alive in a disused third-level plant room in the ERI on December 10.

The 34-year-old and battling four-day-old Murray, who was born weighing only 3lb 7 ounces, had been transferred to the city for specialist care from the Borders General Hospital.

READ MORE: Friends pay tribute to ‘kind’ mum who collapsed and died in Edinburgh hospital

Amanda, who was wearing only her pyjama bottoms, a tee-shirt and slippers, had been reported missing seven hours before she was found after a review of CCTV footage revealed her last movements.

It is thought that throughout the seven-hour search by officers and hospital staff, she lay undiscovered and alone while fighting for her life.

READ MORE: Amanda Cox: Everything we know about young mum’s tragic death

Despite undergoing emergency treatment, she was formally declared dead at 11.08pm on Monday December 10, her death certificate states.

It is believed Amanda had been visiting Murray in the hospital’s Simpson Neonatal Unit and became disorientated on her way back to her own ward after suffering an intracranial bleed.

The cause of her death has been documented as intracranial haemorrhage - bleeding in the brain - pending further investigation. It is expected further details will be added following additional forensic tests by specialists.

Police Scotland is still investigating the circumstances of Amanda’s death.

A “sudden death” report has been prepared for the Procurator Fiscal and it is believed a Fatal Accident Inquiry into the tragic circumstances of her death will be ordered by the Crown Office at the conclusion of the Police Scotland investigation.

Amanda’s husband, Michael Cox, was supported by grieving relatives and close friends at her funeral in Peebles on December 28.

A crowdfunder launched by one friend to help Mr Cox and Murray has raised more than £18,000.

At the time of her death hospital bosses offered their condolences to Amanda’s family and said staff will be helping police with their investigations.

Jim Crombie, Deputy Chief Executive, NHS Lothian, said: “My thoughts and sympathies are with the family of Amanda Cox at this sad time. A police investigation is ongoing and we are assisting with their inquiries.”

Following the tragedy, a friend of the couple revealed Amanda has been experiencing head pains before Murray was born.

She said: ”Amanda had been suffering headaches even before she had been in hospital for the birth and was due to see a specialist.

“Apparently she was going back to her room for medication but took a wrong turning. It is just so sad for Amanda, Michael and little Murray.”

Join our Facebook group Our Edinburgh to share images and news from and around the Capital