Hearts fans demand refund over cancelled buses

Bill Tully organised two coaches for Hampden final but the plan fell through at the 11th hour. Picture: Ian Georgeson
Bill Tully organised two coaches for Hampden final but the plan fell through at the 11th hour. Picture: Ian Georgeson
Have your say

ANGRY Hearts fans have demanded the return of their money after two buses failed to show to take them to last Sunday’s League Cup Final.

More than 80 fans had forked out £15 each in advance to coach organiser Bill Tully, from Moredun – but on the day of the match they were let down with a text informing them they would have to get a train instead.

And the fans have now said that despite the last-minute cancellation for one of the biggest games of the season, four days later they are still to receive a refund.

Greg Playfair, 21, from Dalkeith, and his nine friends, handed over £150 to Tully in Dalkeith last Friday night after noticing his post offering bus places on fans forum Jambos Kickback.

After taking the cash he told the diehard Jambo fans to wait for the bus outside Shandon Snooker Hall on Slateford Road at 11am on Sunday morning.

Fans were then let down by a cryptic text at 9am on Sunday morning.

He said: “I rang him on Friday and he told me he needed the money by Saturday morning as he had to pay the bus company. We met him on Friday evening and handed over the cash, and were looking forward to the game.

“Then on Sunday morning I received a text from him at 9am which read ‘Train only option. Meet at station. Trying to contact everyone’.

“We all then had to jump into two taxis which cost £20 each before paying another £15 each for the train.”

Fellow Hearts fan Elaine Duncan, 50, from Gilmerton, also handed over £125 to Tully for seats on a bus for seven adults and two children.

Her party had been told to meet the bus outside Iceland at Gilmerton Crossroads at 10am. However, she received a text at 8.30am informing her that the bus company had “let them down”.

They then had to hastily arrange alternative travel to Hampden for the showpiece final.

She said: “I gave him the money a week beforehand on Saturday night at Gilmerton Bowling Club. He seemed a genuine enough guy. Half of us jumped in the car and the rest raced to get a train.

“Since Sunday he’s ignored all my texts and phone calls, I just want my money back as it’s a lot of money to lose.”

Edinburgh Coach Lines said Mr Tully had failed to pay an £800 balance for the coaches by Saturday evening.

Mr Tully has failed to respond to calls from both the News and disgruntled Hearts fans – but did reply by text to Greg offering hope of future reimbursement.

Greg said: “His message said that he was on a training course in Oban and that 
he would be back on Thursday to pay everyone their 

Elaine added: “I really do hope we get our money back but I’m not holding out much hope.”

Mr Tully could not be reached for comment.