Heroic police officers pull woman from blaze

Buccleuch Steet in Dalkeith where officers pulled a woman from  blazing flat
Buccleuch Steet in Dalkeith where officers pulled a woman from blazing flat
Have your say

HERO police officers saved a woman’s life after they burst into a house fire and pulled her from the blaze.

Two officers had to be taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and treated for smoke inhalation after the 50-year-old woman was also rushed to hospital following the drama late last night.

A spokesperson for Lothian and Borders Police said that two policemen and a policewoman had forced their way into the property after they arrived at the scene before the fire brigade.

It was confirmed this morning that the three officers may be put forward for a bravery award following their heroic actions. Once inside, the officers found the woman unconscious in the living room of the property, and two rushed into the smoke to pull her to safety.

All three officers had to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation by paramedics.

Fire officers were today investigating the cause of the blaze, which broke out in Buccleuch Street, Dalkeith, at around 10.20pm.

It is not thought that the fire was started deliberately.

At the height of the incident, three fire engines and a fire investigation unit were in attendance at the scene.

Ten residents in nearby properties were evacuated as firefighters fought to get the blaze under control, and a child had to be treated by ambulance staff on the scene for smoke inhalation.

One neighbour, John Telford, who lives in the flat below the rescued woman, said the police had acted fast when they discovered a woman was still trapped inside the building.

The 30-year-old single father said: “I went to check on my six month old daughter and I heard the fire alarm. I grabbed my baby and ran downstairs to see everything was else was leaving too.

“I notived that the woman who lives upstairs wasn’t there. When I got to the door I saw the police and I shouted to them to go upstairs and get her.

“I was going to go up myself but I shouted at the police to go and get her because I had my daughter in my arms.

“It was very frightening. There was a lot of shouting and smoke. I was worried for my daughter and I was worried for the lady.

“The police I shouted at came out a few minutes later with the lady, we were all outside and a red cross man came and gave us blankets. It took seven hours before we were allowed back in the flat. It was a disaster,” he added.

The emergency services finally left the scene shortly after 1am this morning. A spokesperson for the ambulance service said that they had been called out by police officers at around 10.30pm. They were initially informed that an adult and a child had been injured.

The 50-year-old woman saved by the officers was in a semi-conscious state by the time she reached the ambulance. Two of the police officers were taken to hospital in police cars while the other was treated at the scene.

A police spokesman said: “Lothian and Borders Police responded to an address in Buccleuch Street, Dalkeith, at around 10.20pm on May 8 following reports of a fire.

“Three officers forced entry and removed a woman from a property before she was taken to hospital for treatment. Her condition is not believed to be life threatening.

“The officers will now be considered for a meritorious award for their bravery and quick thinking.”