Hibs fans fined for fighting with Hearts rivals

Edinburgh Sheriff Court
Edinburgh Sheriff Court
Have your say

A GANG of Hibs fans who took part in “a big rammy” following an Edinburgh derby have been fined.

David Sykes, from Orwell Place, Daryl Petrie, of Alnwickhill View, Stuart Kidd, of Craigmillar Castle Gardens, and Andi Horne, from Castle Park Gait, were part of a group of Hibs supporters inside the International Bar when fighting broke out outside the pub after a group of Hearts supporters appeared in the area.

Serving soldier Adrian Scott, Munster Barracks, Catterick, who has served in the 1st Battalion Scots Guards for the past five years, was also involved in the trouble in Tollcross.

Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard how scores of Hibs fans ran outside the bar to challenge their rivals and violence soon broke out between the warring gangs following the Tynecastle side’s 2-1 victory at Easter Road in April last year.

Fiscal depute Lewis Crosbie told the court around 15 to 20 Hibs supporters were inside the bar when the large group of rival Hearts fans appeared outside.

Mr Crosbie said: “A number of males were within the bar and some members of the group were singing songs and acting boisterously.

“A number of Hearts supporters appeared in the street outside and a number of males from within the bar ran outside. A number of the males in the street were seen fighting.”

Sykes, 23, Petrie, 32, Horne, 24, Kidd and Scott, both 25, all pleaded guilty to an amended charge of forming part of a disorderly crowd and breaching the peace outside the International Bar on April 27 last year.

Sheriff Frank Crowe – who admitted he had been at the Edinburgh derby match as a “neutral supporter” – said: “I don’t propose to distinguish between you all. A big rammy occurred and it was an ugly incident that alarmed passers-by.”

Sykes, Petrie, Kidd and Horne were all fined £850 for their part in the disturbance, while soldier Scott was given an £800 fine.

The five have also been banned from entering the International Bar for the next nine months, but all escaped a football banning order.