Hibs striker Rowan Vine has been banned from driving for going through a red light while talking on his mobile.
Vine, 30, was disqualified for two months when he appeared for sentence at Perth Sheriff Court today.
The court was told that Vine appeared to be already banned from driving but had been unaware of the ban because he had moved home so often.
Sheriff Lindsay Foulis told him yesterday: “You have a bad driving record and it is appropriate to mark this latest offence with a disqualification.” He also fined Vine £400 and allowed him three months to pay.
Vine, of Perth, admitted driving his Mercedes Benz C250 AMG Sport on Dunkeld Road, Perth, through the red light while using the phone on February 1 this year.
Fiscal depute John Malpass said: “At 11pm police witnesses on static observation became aware of the accused driving through the red light whilst speaking on his mobile phone.”
The court was told that Vine had been banned previously in England in his absence, but the player claimed it was an administrative oversight. He was also subject to previous bans in relation to two other offences. He said he had moved house so often he had failed to respond to legal letters sent to him.
Vine had also been facing charges of driving while disqualified and without insurance, but those charges were dropped by the Crown at a previous hearing.
Solicitor John McLaughlin, defending, said: “The real problem for him is that he has had so many addresses. He doesn’t get the letters and they are never answered.
“His licence is not essential for his employment but he has children aged 10 and six in Wokingham with his ex-partner and he drives down to see them. If there is to be a discretionary disqualification I would ask the court to make it a fairly short one.”
Vine scored seven goals in 30 appearances last season for St Johnstone after joining the Perth club from Queens Park Rangers.
He was signed by Hibs shortly before the Europa League transfer deadline this summer and has started six matches so far this season.