Injured man seen leaving flat linked with shooting

Police have cut vegetation on Abercorn Avenue to enable a fingertip search of the area to be carried out. Picture: Neil Hanna
Police have cut vegetation on Abercorn Avenue to enable a fingertip search of the area to be carried out. Picture: Neil Hanna
Have your say

AN injured man was seen hobbling from a flat linked to the fatal shooting of Mohammed Abdi, 24 hours before it was raided by police.

The man was among a group of three black men who left the Duddingston property in the hours after the 25-year-old was gunned down in nearby 

Residents said the man was limping and carrying one of his shoes when the group cut across the back drying green at around 5pm on Sunday before getting into a car.

Two of the men were believed to have been staying in the ground floor flat in Lady Nairne Place for around two weeks before Mr Abdi was shot in Abercorn Avenue at around 1am on Sunday.

Armed police raided the home at 6pm on Monday and a forensic search lasted for three days.

Police have also recovered a silver Ford Fiesta linked to the shooting, which was found in Glasgow on Saturday, and later forensically examined.

Detective Superintendent Gary Flannigan said that the car was “pristine” after apparently being “thoroughly cleaned” by a “professional, car valeting service or garage”.

“It does not look like something which has been done with a bucket of water and a chamois,” he said.

Officers believe the Fiesta and a blue Volkswagen Sharan may have been involved in incidents in Gracemount and Restalrig Road South in the hours before the murder, including the pursuit of a car carrying Mr Abdi.

Eight forensic officers yesterday conducted a fingertip search of the spot, where the Volkswagen Sharan crashed on Abercorn Avenue at the scene of the shooting.

Det Supt Flannigan said: “With a firearms incident, there can be minute traces of evidence. It’s an exhaustive process to collect everything. There was thick vegetation and that needed to be methodically cut back to allow a full search. We could be there for a number of days.”

Police have previously confirmed that the Lady Nairne Place flat was part of the inquiry but did not wish to comment further.

One neighbour said: “There was two black men living at the flat for about two weeks. On the Sunday evening my neighbour saw three men coming out and on to the back green. On of them was limping and carrying his shoe like he’d been hurt.”

Meanwhile, around 60 bouquets of flowers have been left at a makeshift memorial for Mr Abdi on Abercorn Avenue.

One message read: “I never thought in a million years I would be saying my last goodbyes to you like this. I guess this is the only way I can now.

“I just want to say that you will never be forgotten. You are my first love and will always have a place in my heart. Love Kaouther.”