Jilted man jailed for assualt on ex-lover

Livingston High Court. Picture: Lisa Ferguson
Livingston High Court. Picture: Lisa Ferguson
Have your say

A MAN who savagely battered and strangled his ex-girfriend shortly after she dumped him has been jailed for nine years.

A jury at the High Court in Livingston took less than an hour to return a unanimous verdict finding Scott Macintosh guilty of attempted murder.

Macintosh had denied carrying out the attack on 26-year-old art graduate Kate Lampitt-Adey in her Edinburgh flat last August.

During a five-day trial, the jury saw “horrific” images of Miss Lampitt Adey’s severely injured face taken by a police officer in hospital an hour after the assault.

Miss Lampitt-Adey’s eyes were badly bloodshot and distinct fingertip bruises on either side of her windpipe showed where Macintosh had repeatedly tried to choke her.

Giving evidence to the jury, the PHD Design student said Macintosh had told her if she called the police then “he’d murder me”.

She went on: “I remember him holding my neck to the extent that I couldn’t breathe and I lost vision three or four times – I just saw black.

“My memory is [him] pinching my windpipe. I couldn’t see anything and I couldn’t breathe.”

Police, called to the scene by neighbours who heard her strangled screams for help, were also attacked by the accused and had to forcibly restrain him.

Officers found his battered and bruised victim barricaded in a room in her Easter Road flat “cowering” behind a bed.

Macintosh, 36, of Trafalgar Street, Leith, claimed in his defence that Miss Lampitt-Adey already had the injuries when he arrived at her flat in the early hours of the morning.

Passing sentence, Lady Rae told the jobless former drug addict: “You’ve been convicted of a very serious charge of attempting to murder the woman with whom you had some form of relationship.

“It’s fortunate that the police came as quickly as they did because had they not done so you might have been appearing in this court on a charge of murder.”

She highlighted that Macintosh had a substantial criminal record, the last conviction for a serious domestic sexual assault to injury in June 2013 for which he’d served a community sentence.

His 19 convictions included assaults to severe injury, carrying a knife, offences of disorder and drink driving.

She went on: “You’ve shown no remorse, as was obvious from your evidence, for this brutal attack. The ladies and gentlemen of the jury saw the photographs which in my view were just horrific. In these circumstances I’ll have to impose a significant sentence.”

She backdated the nine-year sentence to August 11 last year when Macintosh was remanded in custody.

Detective Constable Mark Seymour said: “This was a shocking and sustained attack on an innocent woman, which could have had even more serious consequences. We welcome the sentence handed down to Scott Macintosh. It highlights our commitment to tackling 
domestic abuse.”