Kenny Richey suffers stroke in US

Karen and Kenny Richey. Picture: submitted
Karen and Kenny Richey. Picture: submitted
Have your say

FORMER Death Row Scot Kenny Richey has admitted he isn’t taking care of himself after he suffered a stroke.

Richey is recovering at home in the United States after being admitted to hospital in Tupelo, Mississippi, following a seizure on Wednesday.

His wife Karen revealed he had been left partially paralysed after being treated in intensive care, but said they were thankful he had been able to come home.

Richey, 50, from Edinburgh, spent 22 years in jail over the death of a toddler in a house fire before being freed after a plea deal in 2008.

His wife broke the news of his stroke on her Facebook page, but said: “His Scottish humor [sic] keeps his spirits in tacked [intact], and staff on their feet. This life-changing hurdle has effected [affected] him on so many levels. But he is determined to persevere.”

She had stayed by his side as he was treated and admitted nursing staff had compared his being confined to bed to being in prison.

Karen wrote: “A comment was made last night from his nurse about him being confined to a bed like he is – ‘I’m sure you feel like you are in jail.’ We both just looked at each other and started laughing, and his response was ‘This is paradise in comparison to any kind of imprisonment, you have no idea.”

Richey, who moved back to America after struggling to settle in Scotland following his release from prison, was allowed to return home on Friday, although he has been warned he now faces months of physiotherapy to restore movement to his right arm and hand.

And in a message to well-wishers on Facebook he ­admitted he had not taken care of his health and vowed to change his ways.

He said: “Not taking care of myself is what caused the stroke and thinking that nothing like this could ever happen to me. Was I ever wrong! Will be taking better care of myself from now on and doing what the doctor tells me.”

Karen revealed the stroke was thought to have been caused by a blood clot, and said they were thrilled he had come home.

In her post she said: “The blood thinners did a great job, but the damage to his right arm and hand will take a lot of therapy.

“We are so happy to have him home. Dr [doctor] says it will take time to heal and hopefully he will regain some use of his hand and arm.”

Richey, who is also diabetic, has faced years of health complications, including sleep apnoea, with which he was diagnosed during his time on Death Row.

He suffered a series of heart attacks in his prison cell and in 2008 was diagnosed with mouth cancer.