Man finds deep fried mouse in Tesco scampi bag

The mouse on the plate of scampi. Picture: Deadline
The mouse on the plate of scampi. Picture: Deadline
Have your say

A horrified plumber has narrowly avoided tucking in to a deep-fried mouse that had been sealed inside a bag of Tesco scampi.

Mohammed Ali, from Stoneyburn, has said he is still too sick to eat after making the gruesome discovery on Wednesday afternoon.

Mohammed Ali cooked the mouse, inset, by accident. Picture: Deadline

Mohammed Ali cooked the mouse, inset, by accident. Picture: Deadline

The 37-year-old emptied the contents of the bag into his deep fat fryer, not realising the deceased rodent had been frozen alongside the battered langoustine tails.

He has now reported the grisly find to Tesco and environmental health officials who are investigating.

Mr Ali bought the £3 packet from Tesco in Bathgate on Wednesday and later that day decided to fry them up for an afternoon snack.

He said: “I stuck my hand in the bag and put it in, I was in a hurry.”

But he noticed something was amiss when he checked the pan two minutes later.

He said: “I saw something black was inside it. I thought ‘what the hell is that?’

“I fished it out and it was a mouse. I was shocked, upset and angry. I was looking forward to scampi. I love scampi.”

After the incident he contacted the supermarket chain and West Lothian Council’s trading standards department.

He said the experience has left him unable to eat anything, adding: “I’ve only been drinking juice, I’m starving.”

And he described how he has been taunted over the incident by some members of his family.

He said: “I went to my brother’s party later that day and as soon as I got in my brother was going, ‘squeak, squeak!’”

A West Lothian Council spokesman said: “We have been contacted by a local resident regarding the alleged find of a mouse in a locally bought food product. Our environmental health officers are 

A Tesco spokeswoman said: “We set ourselves very high standards for the safety and quality of our food.

“The product has not been returned to store by Mr Ali but we will be assisting the local authority with any investigation they may undertake.”

In 2008, a woman found a dead frog nestled among the leaves of a pre-packed salad purchased at a Co-op store on Leith Walk.