Man jailed for killing pub customer with metal beer keg

The Clubhouse bar in Musselburgh
The Clubhouse bar in Musselburgh
Have your say

A MAN who killed a pub customer with a metal beer keg has been jailed for four years.

Ryan Cameron struck David McCardle with the barrel following an incident near to the Clubhouse bar in Musselburgh in August last year.

Cameron today appeared at the High Court in Glasgow after admitting to the culpable homicide of the 40 year-old

The 26 year-old and co-accused Ross Tait, 22, had previously stood trial three times accused of murdering Mr McCardle.

Lord Stewart told Cameron the sentence would have been five years, but for his guilty plea.

The judge said it was clear the death had a “significant impact” on Mr McCardle’s relatives.

Cameron – who has previous convictions for assault – gave a thumbs-up to family as he was lead to the cells.

Tait – whose not guilty plea to the murder was accepted – was locked up for 13 months after he admitted attacking another man – Derek Robertson – with a wooden pole.

The court earlier heard how the killing occurred amid “a fast moving and confusing scene” near to the East Lothian bar.

Cameron had got into a fight with Mr McCardle and the accused grabbed a beer keg before thrusting it into the victim’s side resulting in a fatal blow.

Cameron had earlier suffered a fractured jaw and skull himself after he was said to have been attacked by Steven Lindsay – described as an “unlicensed doorman”.

A first trial had to be halted after the then judge Lady Dorrian realised she knew a witness.

A second trial was cut short when Judge Sean Murphy QC discovered his wife was a distant relative through marriage of the victim.

The case went ahead again last month before guilty pleas were entered

After the admissions to the reduced charges were accepted, Mr McCardle’s brother Keith reportedly said the family were “disgusted” at the final outcome.

He commented at the time: “We honestly cannot believe Cameron has been let off so lightly while Tait will, essentially, walk free.

“It has come a total shock to us all as the case had been going so well before this third trial.

“Personally, I feel money is factor in this ridiculous decision as the court system must have already wasted thousands on the first two trials. It has been a whitewash.”

The 50 year-old also said the family had contacted representatives from the Stephen Lawrence Trust to see whether the decision to accept the pleas to the lesser charges could be appealed.