Man who fell through roof while fleeing police dies

Ian Ross died at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
Ian Ross died at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
Have your say

A MAN who plunged 25ft through a garage roof while being pursued by police has died in hospital.

Police bosses today said a public inquiry could be held into the death of Ian Ross, 31, who sustained fatal head and body injuries during the incident on Sunday night.

The father-of-two was being pursued by officers following a fight at Robertson’s Bar in Gorgie Road and scrambled onto the roof of Tynecastle 
Garage after police threatened to set a dog on him. He then fell through a plastic skylight on to machinery below.

He was later treated in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary but died yesterday evening.

Lothian and Borders Police Board convener Iain Whyte described the incident, which took place after Hearts’ 1-1 draw with Hibs in Sunday’s derby, as “tragic” and said it would probably be investigated with the help of officers from outside his force.

He told the News: “It’s a tragic incident and it’s terribly unfortunate that it’s ended in this way.

“I hope the chief constable will do everything he can to ensure the public has 
confidence that the force has handled this properly. I’m sure he will.

“Usually if someone is being chased in a car and there is an accident or death there is some investigation. Normally they will seek to bring in officers from another force.

“In the longer term it may be that the Procurator Fiscal will set up a fatal accident inquiry.”

Today it was revealed that staff in the pub pressed a “panic button” after troubled flared. Shortly after riot police, with shields and batons, burst into the bar. Police are studying CCTV tapes to see how the fracas started.

Tributes to Ian appeared today on the social network Twitter.

One from Frazer, a Hibs fan, said: “RIP Ian Ross. Very nice guy, was horrible to hear tonight that it was him who had fell from the roof on Sunday.”

Another from Adelle McLennan said: “Just if you could go back in time. Still can’t believe this has happened! You’ll be the brightest star in the sky.”

Steven Kilgour, Secretary of the Federation of Hearts Supporters, said: “My thoughts go out to his family. When you go to a game of football you expect to come home again.”

A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: “Inquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding his death, including reports of an earlier altercation at a licensed premise on Gorgie Road.”