THE mother of tragic Keane Wallis-Bennett – who was crushed to death by a changing room wall at Liberton High – has pledged to “do whatever it takes to get justice” for her daughter after a Crown Office probe found no-one was to blame.
Abbie Wallis, 35, said the 12-year-old had been “let down” by the investigation, adding that the family had been robbed of closure.
And Keane’s father, Clark Bennett, 48, said he was “disgusted” by the results of the investigation into the death of his daughter on April 1 last year.
The probe’s initial findings were disclosed last week to the youngster’s family, revealing that Keane died after the one-tonne wall – said to be at least 6ft high – collapsed on top of her.
Keane suffered multiple injuries and a fatal head wound, family members were told. Ms Wallis said: “This investigation is far from over.
“Myself and my family will do whatever it takes to get justice for Keane, and reassurance for other parents that their children will be taught in a safe environment.”
It has also emerged that Ms Wallis and other relatives were told during a meeting with prosecutors that no criminal charges would be filed based on the interim report on the pupil’s death.
Ms Wallis said: “I saw the wall when I visited the school after the accident and it was still intact apart from where it hit Keane. It fell over in one piece. I’ve been told it weighed one tonne – she didn’t stand a chance. I hoped we would get some kind of closure but we didn’t.”
She added: “How can it be that 14 months on, nobody is accountable? Keane has been let down by this report.”
Mr Bennett added: “I’m disgusted. It feels like we are no further forward.”
It is understood that a final decision will be made on the case when the probe is complete. A Crown Office spokesman said: “Staff updated the family on the findings of the interim report, which has been given to the procurator fiscal.”
A city council spokesman said: “We can’t comment at this stage.”
The investigation results come after plans to expand Liberton High were given the green light.
Construction of a £2.5 million extension at the school’s new PE block was approved at the end of last year – nine months after Keane’s death.
An outdoor classroom with a permanent memorial to the youngster will be created under the plans, which also feature a dance studio and gymnasium, as well as storage, general fitness and changing areas.
The proposals sparked objections from neighbouring residents, who said the extension was sited just four metres from their property and would create noise and privacy issues.
Councillors acknowledged the plans had created strong feeling in the Liberton community, although planning officials said there were no other appropriate sites for the new building.