Murder trial hears accused’s 999 call

Lee Duncan. Picture: Comp
Lee Duncan. Picture: Comp
Have your say

A JURY has heard the 999 call made by a murder accused, telling ambulance staff that his dead friend “looks like he’s been clobbered”.

Gary Parker was speaking moments after finding victim Lee Duncan lying motionless in a pool of blood in the 
bedroom of a Tollcross flat.

Parker told the emergency services that Mr Duncan’s body was “freezing” to the touch, while his injuries had clearly not come from a “fall”.

The 45-year-old had been called up to Mr Duncan’s flat by the victim’s girlfriend, Kirsty Nelson, who had 
discovered the body.

Parker – who lived in the same building in Lauriston Place – is on trial accused of murdering the 31-year-old with a claw hammer.

Alistair Strachan, 35, a call handler for the Scottish Ambulance Service, was giving evidence at the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday. Mr Strachan took the call from Parker on February 24, 2011, which was played in full to the jury.

On the tape, Parker said: “My mate’s lying in a pool of blood. I don’t know what’s happened to him.”

He added: “I just came up to the flat just now. His keys are lying on the floor.”

Parker told Mr Strachan he was putting his hands on Mr Duncan’s chest, telling him the body is “f****** Baltic”.

Parker later said he was staying in the hall outside the bedroom, and urged the call handler to get an ambulance “as quick as possible, mate”.

Asked by Mr Strachan who was the last person to speak to Mr Duncan before he was injured, Parker replied: “I haven’t a clue, mate.”

Paramedic Terence Manson, 51, told the court he believed Mr Duncan was dead as soon as he saw him on the floor.

Mr Manson said that he had estimated that the victim had been dead for “six or seven hours” due to the presence of dried blood and signs of rigor mortis.

The trial earlier heard from Pc David Ezady, who called at the flat at 2.15am that day, around eight-and-a-half hours before the body was found.

The 33-year-old and colleague Pc Scott Everard, 27, had been tasked with carrying out a bail condition check on Mr Duncan, who was banned by a court order from meeting up with Ms Nelson, 33, after allegedly assaulting her. Pc Ezady said that they had knocked the door and rung the buzzer but received no answer. The officer said he looked through the letter box and saw that the flat lay in darkness.

Parker denies murdering Mr Duncan by repeatedly hitting him with a claw hammer and compressing his neck with a belt or cable. Parker, now of Guardwell Glen, Gilmerton, has lodged papers blaming two other men for the murder.

The trial continues.