Obituary: Robin Wotherspoon, 87

Have your say

A former town clerk of North Berwick has died aged 87.

Robin Wotherspoon was born on February 13, 1928, in Inverness, the son of Robert Wotherspoon, the former provost of Inverness.

He was the third son of five children and his childhood was spent in Inverness before attending school at Loretto in Musselburgh, where he was the Head of the Nippers before moving to the Upper School, where he represented the school in many sports.

Robin moved to Edinburgh in 1948 after studying law at Trinity College Oxford in order to convert to Scots law at Edinburgh University.

He was an active member of the congregation at St George’s West Church, where he met his future wife Margaret.

After two years carrying out military service with the Royal Signals at Catterick and in Germany he returned to undertake his apprenticeship with WJ Burness in Edinburgh.

Robin and Margaret moved to North Berwick in December 1955, when Robin joined the law firm Wallace & Menzies.

Following the death of Mr Menzies in 1956, Robin took over as senior partner and stepped into the role of town clerk, which he held until local government reorganisation in 1975. He finally retired in 1990.

During his 17 years as North Berwick town clerk, Robin worked closely with the burgh surveyor and town chamberlain to ensure the wellbeing of the town and its people.

Robin was an elder at Blackadder Church in North Berwick until it merged with St Andrew’s in 1987 and he was a keen traditionalist in every way.

He loved Scottish literature, particularly Sir Walter Scott and John Buchan, and was fond of cinema and music, playing the fiddle and the pipes himself well into his later years.

Golf was another important aspect of Robin’s life and he played regularly every week at the New Club in North Berwick. Many contacts and friends were made through the golf club and both he and his wife Margaret were club captains.

Robin was also a member at Muirfield, which he loved in his later years when he had time to enjoy it.

The one big sadness in Robin’s life was his failing memory. The effects of Alzheimer’s disease meant that he and his wife moved back to Edinburgh to spend more time with the family in 2005.

When they could no longer manage for themselves they made the decision to move to Muirfield Nursing Home, where they were looked after by a dedicated team of carers.

Robin and Margaret celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary on June 4 this year with their four children, eight grandchildren, great-granddaughter and their families.

His family said they were extremely grateful to the carers at home and the staff at Muirfield Nursing Home at Gullane, where Robin died on November 4.