Obituary: Wilma Munro, 79

Wilma Munro was a stalwart of the theatre scene
Wilma Munro was a stalwart of the theatre scene
Have your say

TRIBUTES Have been paid to Wilma Munro, a highly regarded member of the local amateur dramatic scene, who has died, aged 79.

Wilma served in the Scottish Community Drama Association Group in many capacities, holding the posts of Edinburgh district madam chairman, Edinburgh district treasurer – a role she took on to allow her husband Stuart to become vice-chairman – eastern divisional madam chairman and general council member.

She was also regarded as a wonderful director who was just as happy helping out with typing, packing, posting the mail, answering the phone and even serving on an emergency panel at many festivals.

Douglas Currie, a fellow member of the Scottish Community Drama Association, said: I knew Wilma for more years than it would be polite to remember. We first met as ordinary members, attending a sparsely attended AGM when only committee members, apart from ourselves, filled the room.

“Needless to say, both of us found ourselves in due course invited, coerced and persuaded to join some committee or other.

“We met again when I, after retiring from teaching, was unanimously selected as Edinburgh district secretary and Wilma was already treasurer. We served for six years, including organising, on Edinburgh’s behalf, the Eastern divisional finals in 1992.

“In 1994, we decided to demit office. Wilma was already eastern divisional chairman.”

In her early years working in theatre she was a producer, before the term became fashionable, but her skill as a director was recognised over the years with Liberton Kirk Drama Group, as well as St Columba’s Church Group and on many occasions with Liberton Church, including two historical pageants in the church itself.

Perhaps her greatest triumph was when the Liberton Drama Group won the Scottish Finals in 1984 and went to the British Finals to perform Rise and Shine.

Her husband Stuart was fortunately there to enjoy the moment.

Sadly ill-health hit Wilma later in life. In 1995, she fell seriously ill with heart problems and took a considerable amount of time to recover from her heart bypass operation – although Mr Currie said she never lost her sense of humour, adding: “She enjoyed teasing me that she followed me around the surgical units occupying my bed space at the ERI and at the Astley Ainslie Rehab Hospital.”

Wilma died last year, but will always be remembered by those who knew her. Mr Currie added: “She was a lovely lady generous to a fault but never failing to express her views.

“Most times she was correct, especially where amateur theatre was concerned. We shall miss her.”