Oil worker fined over racist Waverley bomb threat

The incident occurred at Waverley in April 2012. Picture: Neil Hanna
The incident occurred at Waverley in April 2012. Picture: Neil Hanna
Have your say

AN irate oil worker said Scotland should be “bombed” after missing his train home, in an outburst ahead of the independence referendum.

Staff at Waverley station were left stunned when the man started shouting abuse at them after failing to catch a connecting train to Sunderland.

And after he was arrested, the man shouted racist insults at the police as they were taking him to the cells.

Yesterday, Ian Thirlaway, 43, of Bright Street, Sunderland, was fined £500 after pleading guilty to committing a racially aggravated breach of the peace on April 13, 2012.

His defence lawyer admitted Thirlaway was “ashamed” of the way he had acted.

The English offshore oil worker had missed a train home to Sunderland, and rounded on staff at Waverley, shouting: “I hope you get independence and we have spare bombs and we can bomb the whole place.”

At Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday, fiscal depute Rosie Cook told Sheriff Thomas Welsh QC that station employees Steven Muir and Simon Bathgate saw Thirlaway shouting about missing his train.

“He approached the men and shouted ‘You are f***ing useless’,” said Ms Cook.

She said the staff members tried to explain why he had missed the train, but he shouted the remark about bombing Scotland. The men contacted the station supervisor and British Transport Police.

The police saw Thirlaway calling the two men “w*****s”. He was detained and on his way to the police office, the fiscal said he told the officers: “I’m arrested and you let P***s and immigrants in here. F***ing hell.”

Defence solicitor Ceri Evans told the court her client worked offshore on the rigs, but suffered from severe depression when under pressure.

“He becomes angry with anyone and everyone,” she said. “That caused this, coupled with alcohol.”

Thirlaway, she added, was utterly ashamed of his behaviour.

Sheriff Welsh described Thirlaway’s behaviour as “an ugly incident” and fined him £500 to be paid at £50 a month.