Outdoor shop boss Donald Tiso left £2.3m to family

Have your say

A DIRECTOR of one of Scotland’s biggest outdoor clothing companies left his £2.3 milion fortune to family members following his death in a climbing accident.

Donald Tiso, 50, fell to his death in January as he walked on a hill near to Fort William.

He had been climbing with a friend when he fell and was flown to hospital by helicopter where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

In his recently published will, it has been revealed he left family members his fortune of £2,388,196.50 in a trust.

The unmarried businessman also left his house in Leith, Edinburgh, to his family.

People named in the trust include his mother Maude, younger brother Christopher, his niece Rudi McKay, and his cousins Linda Gibb and Heather Donald.

It is thought Mr Tiso and a companion were walking on Ben Starav, a Munro near the village of Taynuilt, which is about 12 miles from Oban, when he slipped and fell.

Emergency services received a call from Mr Tiso’s climbing partner shortly after the accident happened.

Oban Mountain Rescue Team and police were called to the remote hillside and a Royal Navy rescue helicopter from HMS Gannet was scrambled but he later lost his life.

Mr Tiso was also closely involved with Edinburgh’s live music scene where he championed new Scottish bands.

At the time of his death Mike Scott, frontman of The Waterboys, said: “He was a great guy and a very dedicated music archivist and recorder of gigs, 1970s to now.

“Farewell and thanks for all the fun and your help in tough times to my old friend Donald Tiso who died Saturday in a climbing accident. RIP mate.”

Mr Tiso’s father, Graham, who was also a keen mountaineer, died in a tragic boating accident in 1992 when he was 57.

He had set up Tiso in 1962 with his wife Maude and it now has 21 stores across Scotland, England and Northern Ireland.

And his brother Christopher suffered a brain haemorrhage in 1999 while driving to Prestwick Airport and was rushed to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow where he underwent two operations.

But after several weeks in recovery he returned to work.

The following year he joined an expedition to climb Mount Everest on which he suffered pneumonia and had to return home.

He is currently chief executive of Tiso and took over the family business in 1992 after his father died.