Pair taken to hospital after Edinburgh flat fire

Picture: John Devlin
Picture: John Devlin
Have your say

A man and a woman were taken to hospital following a serious flat fire in the early hours.

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze in Edinburgh’s Dundee Street at about 3.40am and found the property well alight when they got there.

The two casualties managed to get out of the building before the fire service got there, a spokeswoman said.

Both were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary by ambulance, suffering from smoke inhalation.

Crews from Tollcross and Sighthill put out the fire, which was in the bedroom, using a line of hose and a hose reel.

Group manager David Mackie said: “This property did not have a working smoke alarm. Thankfully, on this occasion a neighbour saw the fire and called us out.

“Having a smoke alarm fitted can limit the damage to property by allowing firefighters the chance to respond earlier to extinguish the fire.

“Working smoke alarms provide householders with an early warning that will enable them to escape the property during the early stages and can prevent injuries and deaths caused by fire.”