Pensioner knocked down by Royal Mail van rushed to ERI

Have your say

AN elderly woman has been seriously injured after being hit by a Royal Mail van as she crossed the road.

The 83-year-old suffered a head injury when she was knocked down on Main Street, in Davidson’s Mains, yesterday morning.

The pensioner was rushed to the ERI, where her condition is said to have since improved.

The road was closed for around two hours after the incident so police could carry out investigations.

A shopworker from a nearby McColl’s newsagents said she had been outside when the accident occurred at 11.20am.

She said: “I saw a red van come out from the side street. He didn’t come out fast at all, and the next thing I saw he had jolted to a stop. I thought he’d hit a car at first, then I saw everybody running and a lady lying in the road.

“The street was cordoned off for a good two-and-a-half hours. We heard it was serious.”

Another woman working in a business nearby said she had heard the commotion from her shop. She said: “We didn’t see what happened but we went out afterwards and saw a wee shopping trolley and a stick at the side of the road, so we knew it was an elderly lady.”

She added that the woman had appeared to be conscious and talking when she was treated by ambulance crews.

Lothian and Borders Police have appealed for anyone with any information about the incident to come forward.

A police spokesman said: “The elderly woman suffered what was initially thought to be a serious head injury as a result of this collision. However, she has responded well to treatment.

“Nevertheless, we are keen to speak to members of the public who can help establish what happened, and we are particularly keen to speak to the driver of a white van, who may have allowed the driver of the Royal Mail van to join the traffic flow just before the incident.”

Meanwhile, there was a two-car collision on the A6094 between Roswell and Penicuik yesterday afternoon. Three people were taken to the ERI after the incident at 4.45pm. A four-year-old boy suffered from shock and bruising, and a 35-year-old woman in the same car was treated for shock. A 30-year-old woman in the other car suffered from back pain. None of the injuries is believed to be serious.