Spaniel loses leg after being bitten by adder in Scotland

A Cocker spaniel from Edinburgh has been forced to have her leg amputated after she was bitten by the UK’s only venomous snake.

Thursday, 8th August 2019, 1:13 pm
Brave Poppy lost her back left leg.

The seven-year-old dog, named Poppy, was on a trip in Wester Ross last month when she was bitten by the adder.

Ciara Vernon, 20, Poppy’s owner said: “My parents were on holiday up near Applecross when they were on a walk with Poppy.

“She likes to run through the grass and chase her ball and the adder bit her while she was running around.”

Brave Poppy lost her back left leg.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Read More

Read More
Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home find forever home for 'UK's unluckiest dog' - after almost FIVE years

Poppy spent her first week in an animal hospital up north before transferring to the Royal (Dick) Vet Hospital when she returned to Edinburgh.

Her back left leg and foot were badly damaged and she needed treatment which included ongoing skin grafts to recover but as Ciara’s family’s pet insurance would not cover all the costs, she started a GoFundMe page to raise £5,000 to put towards Poppy’s treatment.

Yesterday, the decision was made to amputate Poppy’s rear left leg.

“The GoFundMe amount would have covered the ongoing skin grafts, but we will look to refund the money because her leg had to be amputated,” Ciara said. “She’s doing a lot better now, I think that Poppy is just glad to be home and my mum told me that she’s still wagging her little tail, but she’s very tired.