Pilot’s mascot Mr Biggles goes missing at airshow

Mr Biggles
Mr Biggles
Have your say

They were the kings of the sky, responsible for flying the world’s most iconic and advanced passenger jet.

But it seems even a retired Concorde pilot responsible for flying the world’s fastest airliner can’t do without his teddy bear – just ask Captain Tony Yule.

His beloved mascot, Mr Biggles, has clocked up more than 1.6 million miles in the air and been to the farthest corners of the globe during two decades perched alongside Tony in one of the best seats on the planet.

Now the close-knit pair face being torn apart forever, after the sudden disappearance of the stuffed creation during an East Lothian airshow.

Tony has been left devastated over the loss of a treasure that has become “part of the family”.

Mr Biggles vanished from the steps of the Concorde at East Fortune airfield on Saturday afternoon while Tony was giving a talk as part of Scotland’s National Airshow held at the National Museum of Flight.

It has sparked a passionate plea for help, with witnesses asked to come forward and help return the beloved friend, with no questions asked.

Tony landed his dream job as senior flight officer on the Concorde fleet from 1987 to 1993.

He was gifted the teddy by his son 20 years ago, with Mr Biggles a constant figure on deck as Tony flew the Boeing 757 and 767s fleet based in Edinburgh until his retirement.

The pair have only been separated once before. On that occasion, Tony called a co-pilot and asked him to stop off in Holland, retrieve the missing teddy from a houseboat and fly Mr Biggles with British Airways up to Edinburgh to 
reunite them.

Tony said the pair had been through everything together, including calming emotional Italians on board a malfunctioning plane.

He said: “While I was flying with Air Europe Italy, we had a small incident. The Italians are unbelievable – they freak out about everything.

“We managed to do a circuit and make a normal landing. I thought afterwards ‘if you’ve got the captain standing at the door of an aeroplane, holding a teddy bear after an incident, there can’t have been an incident. So Biggs does a lot of things.”

The odd couple still go everywhere together, with the teddy accompanying his master at motivational talks on cruise ships across the world in Tony’s retirement.

He said: “He always sits on the table beside me at the lectern. He’s there keeping an eye on things. It’s lovely. He’s just become part of me.

“It’s just sad that he’s gone. I really hope that someone recognises him.”

Anyone with any information about the whereabouts of Mr Biggles is asked to contact National Museums Scotland on 0131-225 7534.