Serial con man son of ex-bowling champ dodges jail

Cameron Corsie
Cameron Corsie
Have your say

The serial con man son of former World Bowling Champion Richard Corsie was today sentenced to two years supervision and ordered to perform 300 hours of unpaid work, instead of being sent to prison,

Twenty-year old Cameron Corsie appeared before Sheriff Elizabeth Jarvie QC at Edinburgh Sheriff Court today having previously pled guilty to four fraud offences committed between March 7 and April 18 this year. Sentence had been deferred for background reports, including a psychological report on his gambling habit.

After he was sentenced he thanked the Sheriff saying he would not let her down.

Three of the charges related to Corsie renting out properties in Edinburgh which he did not own. This netted him £1570 and 500 Euros. The fourth con involved him selling football tickets over the Internet, which he did not have.

In March 2010, when he was 18, Corsie was sent to detention for eight months for frauds which netted him over £22,000. In April 2011, aged 19, he was sentenced to two years for renting out property which he did not own and obtaining £15,000. He was on licence from that sentence when he carried out his latest scam.

Defence solicitor, Ray Megson, commented to the Sheriff; “The question is, ‘Where do we go from here?’. The options before the court are pretty obvious”. Sheriff Jarvie replied: “Given his record and the nature of the offences, custody is almost inevitable”. Mr Megson told the court that Corsie was back living with his parents and could be made the subject of a Restriction of Liberty Order and a Community Payback Order. “He has done one before” said the lawyer. “He feels he has now turned the corner and I would ask your Ladyship to give him one, and it will be, a final chance”.

Sheriff Jarvie said she was concerned about Corsie having access to computer equipment. Mr Megson commented: “His parents will, to the best of their ability, see he does not use it”.

At this point, Corsie rose to his feet and told the Sheriff: “My parents have not let me have any access to a computer”. He added that he was now involved in voluntary work and not socialising with anyone. “I have been taking the chance to move away from anyone I have been socialising with”.

Sheriff Jarvie told Corsie she was prepared to deal with the matter by way of a Community Payback Order, involving two years supervision and 300 hours of unpaid work to be completed in one year. Corsie was also told to undergo any psychological counselling ordered by his supervising officer, to have no access to electronic equipment and the Internet and to be subject to a curfew between 8pm and 7am. She said she would review his case in January, but warned Corsie: “If you come to the attention of the police, it will be a custodial sentence. You will go back to serve the rest of the previous sentence and the next sentence will not be a short one”.