Shock as toddler dies after falling into hot tub

The house where Sophie Mallin died after falling in the  hot tub
The house where Sophie Mallin died after falling in the hot tub
Share this article
Have your say

A TODDLER has died following a tragic accident at her home in West Lothian.

It is believed Sophie Mallin, who was 18 months old, fell into a hot tub while playing in the garden of her family home on Sunday, March 18.

Detectives said they are still investigating to establish the circumstances surrounding the death.

Police today confirmed that they were called to the home on Mother’s Day following what appeared to be a tragic accident.

Paramedics rushed to the scene and attempted to revive the youngster after receiving a frantic emergency call from her parents, it was reported today.

The toddler was then taken to the Royal for Sick Children in Edinburgh for further treatment but died the following day.

It is understood the youngster’s parents, named as Steve, an electrician, and Cheryl, an insurance worker, and Sophie’s four-year-old sister, Keira, are being comforted at home by relatives. Neighbours have described their shock at the sight of police and ambulance crews which rushed to the scene of the emergency on Sunday.

One said: “It’s an absolute tragedy. She was a gorgeous wee thing. Her parents had only been here for about four years but everybody feels absolutely heartbroken for them.

“Nobody should have to go through that.”

A Lothian and Borders Police spokesman said: “Police were called to an address in Fountainhead Road in Bathgate on Sunday 18th March following an apparently tragic accident where a toddler was found injured at the property.

“The child was taken to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh, where she died the following day.

“The circumstances surrounding this incident are being fully explored.”