Sister of pub death victim ‘sickened’ by four-year jail term

Ryan Cameron was sentenced to four years
Ryan Cameron was sentenced to four years
Have your say

THE sister of a man killed by a thug wielding a metal beer keg today said the family had been left “sickened and disgusted” after the attacker was jailed for four years.

Ryan Cameron struck David McCardle with the barrel following an incident near the Clubhouse Bar in Musselburgh in August last year. The 26-year-old was jailed at the High Court in Glasgow after admitting the culpable homicide of 40-year-old Mr McCardle.

David McCardle

David McCardle

Cameron and co-accused Ross Tait, 22, had previously stood trial three times accused of murdering Mr McCardle, who had five brothers and three sisters. Lord Stewart told Cameron the sentence would have been five years, but for his guilty plea.

Tait – whose not guilty plea to the murder was accepted – was locked up for 13 months after he admitted attacking another man – Derek Robertson – with a wooden pole.

Following the sentencing, the victim’s sister Leila McCardle, 35, said: “We are sickened and disgusted that they have gotten away with murder, which is what we feel has happened. It’s a real slap in the face for our family.

“David was a loving and caring brother who would always look out for his family and friends. We miss him every day.

“I had a baby only a week after David died. It’s been hell on earth living through our loss, and we’ve been horribly let down by the justice system.

“I’m only left with my memories of David. I miss him terribly. He did not deserve to go like that.”

During yesterday’s hearing, Lord Stewart said it was clear the death had a “significant impact” on Mr McCardle’s relatives.

Cameron has previous convictions for assaulting police, possession of an offensive weapon and assault to severe injury, while Tait has convictions for racially aggravated conduct and assault.

Last month, the High Court in Edinburgh heard that Cameron and Tait, who was on bail at the time for another offence, were “significantly under the influence of alcohol” when they turned up at the Clubhouse Bar in the town’s North High Street on August 28 last year.

During the incident, Cameron attacked Mr McCardle, repeatedly punching the older man.

Following his death pathologists discovered that Mr McCardle had received a single fatal blow to his right side which resulted in “catastrophic” damage to his liver from two broken ribs.

Two earlier trials had to be halted for technical reasons.