Six arrests following disturbances at Hibs clash with Aberdeen

SIX people have been charged with a variety of public order offences surrounding Aberdeen's clash with Hibernian at the weekend.

Monday, 7th May 2018, 3:30 pm
Updated Monday, 7th May 2018, 3:35 pm
Officers arrested six people for a variety of offences before and during the match.

A 44-year-old man from Edinburgh was served with an anti-social behaviour notice after allegedly urinating in a cemetery near the stadium, while a 29-year-old man, also from the capital, was arrested at a bar near the ground in the hours leading up to the match following a disturbance.

Stewards ejected a further three people from Pittodrie during Saturday’s goalless draw, while six others were refused entry for “alcohol-related issues”.

Meanwhile, a 16-year-old from Edinburgh was charged after a car was vandalised in the Park Road area in the lead-up to the match.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Six people were refused entry to the stadium, while a further three were ejected from Pittodrie during Saturday's goalless draw.

A 59-year-old man was arrested during the game for alleged “sectarian and offensive comments,” while a second man, also 59, was arrested on suspicion of assault within the stadium.

More than 17,000 fans packed into the stadium to watch the sides share the points in the battle for second place in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

Join our Facebook group Our Edinburgh to share images and news from and around the Capital

Jamie Maclaren missed a first-half penalty for the visitors and Niall McGinn struck the crossbar for the hosts, but neither side was able to break the deadlock.

A 19-year-old, from Aberdeen was also arrested for allegedly possessing alcohol inside the ground.

Match commander, chief inspector Murray Main, said: “I hope the quick, robust action taken by officers and stewards at the weekend serves as a clear reminder to those who choose to behave in an anti-social or otherwise unacceptable manner at football fixtures.”

“We will do everything we can to ensure they face the full consequences of their actions whether that’s before, during or after a game.”

He added: “The overwhelming majority of people who turned up were extremely supportive and helped the match pass without any significant disruption. Unfortunately, there is often a handful of people who think of themselves above the law and choose to behave completely inappropriately.”

“In this case a number of people were quickly identified and arrested and will be reported to the procurator fiscal.

Know someone that makes a difference in our community? Nominate them for a Local Hero Award HERE