Soldier avoids jail for racist Mikaeel Kular comment

Community tributes to Mikaeel
Community tributes to Mikaeel
Share this article
Have your say

A SOLDIER has avoided jail after he admitted posting a “disgusting” racist comment on Facebook in relation to the death of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular.

Grenadier Guardsman Warren Butler, 19, of Carlisle, Cumbria, pleaded guilty to a charge of improper use of a communications network under section 127 of the Communications Act (2003).

The 19-year-old swore in his post on the social network site, adding: “One down many more to go.”

District Judge Philip Gillibrand gave Butler a 16-week suspended jail sentence and 250 hours’ community service.

He was also ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £80 victim surcharge and complete a 12-month supervision order which would include, diversity awareness and prejudice training as well as alcohol awareness.

Serena Edwards, prosecuting, told Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court that Butler, who is based at Aldershot, Hampshire, had drunk about 10 bottles of lager alone while his friends were on guard duty when he wrote the comment.

She said that after the comment went viral, Butler became concerned for the well-being of his family and contacted police.

Ms Edwards said that in an interview, he told police he had attended EDL marches in the past and had a racist background.

She added that he also made comments about people of Eastern European backgrounds.

Ms Edwards said: “He said that he is from a racist background but not actively racist, he stated that if he knew the consequences he wouldn’t have posted the comments.”

Fabienne Macey, defending, said that the defendant, who was wearing full ceremonial uniform in his profile picture, deleted the comment and his Facebook account after he realised the impact of it, which had led to him receiving death threats.

She said: “He has grown up in a racist family, his father and grandfather were actively racist. He has been brought up not to like people of a different race and that is all he has known until being 19-years-old and recently joining the Army.”

Mikaeel’s body was discovered in woodland in Fife on January 17, the day after he was reported missing from his home in Drylaw.

His mother, Rosdeep Adekoya, 33, has been charged with his murder.