As Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens in cinemas across Edinburgh, here are some local links to impress your friends with.
• Edinburgh’s biggest Star Wars link is that Angus MacInnes, the actor who played Gold Leader in the first Star Wars movie, lives happily in Joppa. Angus, originally from Canada, played Jon ‘Dutch’ Vander, the leader of Gold Squadron, part of the rebel attack which successfully destroyed the Death Star in Episode IV: A New Hope. Angus also founded Mamma’s restaurant in the Grassmarket with wife Kate.
• Mamma’s celebrated 30 years with a Star Wars themed birthday party. Pizzas included: Ham Solo, Cheese-3-PO, BBQ-D-2, Boba Feta and Darth Veggie.
• The set of the new Stars Wars film underwent an emergency evacuation after the cast were smoked out by celebrity chef Tom Kitchin.
Tom, who has restaurants at the Shore and Stockbridge, was cooking for Steve Jones and Lisa Snowdon ahead of the live Weekend Kitchen programme last year when he filled a neighbouring studio with smoke.
But before the Channel 4 show went on air the iconic Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire was thrown into chaos by his smouldering pet-shop cooking props.
• He’s best known for travelling through the universe in Doctor Who, but did you know that Bathgate-born actor David Tennant, provided the voice for a robot in two episodes of animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, below?
• Edinburgh illustrator Tanya Roberts provided art work for Star Wars: The Clone Wars comics.