Stephanie Inglis standing for first time since motorbike accident

Judo star Stephanie Inglis has been able to stand for the first time since she was injured in a motorbike accident.

Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 8:25 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 4:15 pm
Stephanie Inglis pictured at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Picture: Lisa Ferguson

Ms Inglis, 27, suffered severe injuries when her skirt became trapped in the motorbike’s wheel, dragging her off while she was on her way to work as a teacher in Ha Long, Vietnam.

She was put into an induced coma after the accident in May and flown to a hospital in Bangkok, Thailand, for treatment.

But after emerging from her coma last week, the Commonwealth Games silver medallist from Inverness returned to Scotland to continue her recovery.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ms Inglis was initially only given a one per cent chance of survival by doctors after suffering her injuries.

But her sister Stacey revealed that her doctors at the Western General Hospital are astounded by her progress.

Ms Inglis, who has family in Midlothian, was able to speak for the first time since the accident last week, and she was also able to eat and drink by herself for the first time since waking up.

Now she has stood for the first time. However, it is unlikely the star will be able to return to the family home for several months.

Stacey said: “I’ve not seen her much today but she has been progressing every single day. It’s really good progress.

“I think she was standing today. She has been getting physio every day.

“She is speaking in a whispery voice. She is very, very quietly talking. The doctors are amazed with the speed of her recovery.

“It’s almost impossible, the rate she is going. It has been such a rollercoaster journey.”

Stacey is unsure when her sister will be able to finally return home.

She added: “We are not sure at the moment. I think we will hear more soon. I think she will be down in Edinburgh for a few months.”

Ms Inglis’s parents, Robert and Alison, have thanked well-wishers and donors who have raised more than £300,000 to pay for her medical bills, as her travel insurance had expired.

Friends and family in Midlothian have played their part, raising almost £4000.

Stephanie’s parents, Alison and Robert, lived in the Waverley area of Bonnyrigg for many years before moving to Inverness – and now those who knew them are doing what they can to raise money.

The Evening News told last week how Stephanie’s cousin, Denise Watt, 40, still lives in Bonnyrigg and had held a series of events for the Steph Fund.

She said then: “I had a cake sale at Standard Life which raised £500. My dad did a book sale, making £130, and our night at the Rose club last Friday pulled in £2030.

“At Poltonhall Gala Day we raised £556 with a tombola, ‘guess how many sweets are in the jar’, and ‘guess the teddy’s name’. Collection buckets at The Chase pub, The Anvil and The Calderwood raised £262.

“Together we have raised £3830 so far. It just shows you the amount of support for the family here in Bonnyrigg.”