Thief stole from ex after shooting two men

Darren Kilbryde did not mention guns in his online dating profile. Graeme Hart
Darren Kilbryde did not mention guns in his online dating profile. Graeme Hart
Have your say

A MAN who was dumped by his partner for shooting two men with an air rifle later returned to her home to steal jewellery.

Darren Kilbryde, 36, met ex-girlfriend Corinne Mowat on an online dating agency but his profile failed to mention he was a thief with a passion for guns.

After seven months together, Ms Mowat ended the relationship after Kilbryde shot two random passers-by from her window and then sought her help in hiding his weapons from the police.

He later stole two pendants worth hundreds of pounds from Ms Mowat’s flat after she broke up with him.

Kilbryde, from Pilrig Street in the Capital, had been allowed to return to her flat to collect his belongings while she was out when he robbed her.

He had been living with Ms Mowat in Perth.

Perth Sheriff Court heard how the couple had split up on August 27 last year – the day Kilbryde stole the items from his girlfriend’s home.

Fiscal depute Jim Eodanable said: “This was the day on which [Kilbryde] arranged to collect the last of his belongings from her flat.

“She came home at the end of the day and surmised he had been there because a bag with his belongings had gone.

“She became aware the pendants were not where they would normally be. The police became involved and searched the accused’s property and recovered two pendants.”

The court was told the pendants were worth around £400 and had now been returned to Ms Mowat. Kilbryde, who is serving 14 months for the shootings, was fined £150.

Solicitor David Holmes, defending, said: “There had been a falling out. This was at the end of their relationship.”

Kilbryde was jailed in October after ballistics experts studied CCTV and ruled that the only place the shots could have been fired from were the window of his Ms Mowat’s flat.

Victim Sandy Lumsden, 44, was left with an air gun pellet lodged in his abdomen for a year and needed to undergo surgery twice to have it removed after being shot at random on his way home.

Barman Peter Ross, 23, was also injured after being shot on his way home from work in the early hours by gun-obsessed Kilbryde, who was found with a stash of combat gear.

Kilbryde admitted shooting and injuring Mr Lumsden, from Perth, in the city centre on May 5 last year. He also admitted shooting Mr Ross on the body and injuring him during the incidents which took place just 12 minutes apart.

Mr Holmes said Kilbryde was drunk. He added: “This doesn’t appear to have any proper explanation. At the time it was seen to be a fun thing to do without thinking of the consequences.”

Ms Mowat and Kilbryde had been out drinking and had returned to the flat where she went to bed, assuming Kilbryde was lying beside her. Instead, he got up and took potshots at passing strangers.

Kilbryde’s weapons and ammunition were later discovered in a shared loft space.