A THUG who was in agony from dropping a cooker on his foot threw a lamp at two paramedics from a 13th storey flat window, a court has heard.
Anthony Idebi, 24, went “crazy” and threw the household appliance at the horrified medics after they refused to treat him for his injuries.
Idebi, a prisoner of Saughton, rang for an ambulance after dropping a stove on his foot.
But he threatened the emergency service workers and put them under so much stress that they had no other option but to leave his flat in Hawkhill Court, Edinburgh.
After leaving, Idebi - who has a drink problem - threw the lamp from his window narrowly missing paramedic Alexander Wilson by just a few centimetres.
His shocked colleague Darlene Smith looked on as the lamp smashed on the ground beside Mr Wilson - the lamp’s electrical cable struck him on the leg.
Idebi, who has previous convictions, pleaded guilty at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Tuesday.
He appeared before Sheriff Alistair Noble and admitted October 2011 charges of contravening the Emergency Workers Scotland Act and acting in a culpable and reckless fashion.
He was jailed for 14 months for his actions.
Depute fiscal Dev Kapadia told the court that the paramedics went to the dad of two’s property at 10.56am on October 1, 2011.
They had received a call saying Idebi had dropped a cooker on his foot and needed treatment.
But when they arrived, Idebi started threatening them.
Mr Kapadia said: “He told them he was feeling crazy with the pain. He had a cut to his foot. He told them he couldn’t feel anything in his foot. When they asked him to sit down, the accused refused and pulled up his T-shirt. He told Darlene Smith that he had been stabbed on five previous occasions and that he was used to the pain.
“He continued to act aggressively towards both paramedics. He wouldn’t sit down for treatment. The paramedics had no other option but to leave the flat.
“As they were leaving, the accused shouted ‘f***you why did you bother coming?’
“At that point the witness Smith pressed the emergency button to summon assistance. However, it did not work.
“The paramedics then managed to get to the ground floor. As they were making their way back to the ambulance, Mr Wilson then felt a draught by his side as a lamp smashed and landed beside his feet and he was struck on the leg by the electric cable.
“They immediately made their way to the ambulance to request assistance from the police.”
Mr Kapadia said that when cops arrived, they arrested Idebi and took him into custody.
The depute fiscal said that when officers arrived, Idebi told them: “I have been moving a cooker which had slipped onto my foot. I had gone crazy in the flat.”
Defence solicitor Victoria Good told the court that Idebi had been drinking on the day of the offences and had regretted his actions.
She added: “He asked me specifically to apologise to the paramedics. He meant no disrespect to them. He apologises unreservedly for his behaviour. “
Passing sentence Sheriff Noble said he had no other option but to send Idebi to prison.
He said: “The offences are so serious that no disposal other than custody can be imposed. The consequences could have been more serious. Fortunately, none of the paramedics were harmed.”