Thug who carved initials into girlfriend’s stomach is jailed

Have your say

THUG who carved his initials onto his girlfriend during an eight month reign of terror in the Capital has been jailed for nine and a half years.

George Kennedy Temple sliced GKT into Julie Rutherford’s stomach with a Stanley knife and told her: “You’ll always remember me”.

Miss Rutherford also suffered cigarette burns to her arms, legs and torso during the horrendous domestic abuse.

Temple today returned to the dock after admitting assaulting the 36 year-old to the danger of her life between April and October last year.

Judge Lady Dorrian told the tattooed thug: “This case displays an appalling history of violence and abuse.

“It is hard to believe that a human being could behave towards another in such a depraved and monstrous way.”

She also ordered the 40 year-old to be supervised for a further six years on his release from jail.

The attacks took place at a property in Westburn Grove after the couple began dating in June 2009.

The court heard that up until Miss Rutherford suffered a heart attack three months later, she believed their relationship had been “great”.

Temple had saved her life by giving CPR, but when she left finally left hospital, his behaviour changed towards her.

Prosecutor Gary Allan QC said: “She has difficulty recalling each instance of violence as she was beaten so frequently by the accused.”

He added: “The catalogue of serious violence towards her included regular beatings with fist and foot and assaults including the use of a wooden pole and knives.”

The court heard Temple, who had accused his victim of adultery, had up to four kitchen knives with tape around the handles to hide his fingerprints.

Mr Allan went on: “On an occasion the accused pinned the complainer to the ground using his body weight and, using a Stanley knife, he carved his initials GKT onto her lower stomach.

“He stated that he did so that she would always remember him.”

Miss Rutherford – who at one stage had gone to a women’s refuge - never went to police because she was too scared and Temple had taken her mobile phone.

The violence only came to an end after Temple beat her up at the Capital’s Wester Hailes Shopping Centre and members of the public called the police.

Temple later claimed to officers that his relationship with Miss Rutherford had been excellent until she got into debt.

When asked why he had stayed with her, Temple said: “I love her and I saved her life.”

The court was told Miss Rutherford was severely traumatised by her ordeal and had moved out of Edinburgh.

Jim Stephenson, defending, said: “He does accept the damage he has caused to the complainer. There had been periods of jealousy and paranoia.

“What he has done is going to cause on-going difficulties to Julie Rutherford.”