Schoolboy in hospital after being electrocuted on train roof

A SCHOOLBOY is seriously ill in hospital after being electrocuted when he is thought to have climbed onto the roof of a train.

Monday, 22nd August 2016, 3:04 pm
Updated Monday, 22nd August 2016, 4:08 pm
The 13-yearold was injured after climbing on the roof of a train. Picture; stock image
The 13-yearold was injured after climbing on the roof of a train. Picture; stock image

DOWNLOAD THE EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS APP ON ITUNES OR GOOGLE PLAY

The 13-year-old was hit by a surge of up to 25,000 volts when his backpack touched an overhead power cable.

Railway police, who are investigating the incident that happened near Dalkeith, Midlothian, renewed their warning to parents and children about the dangers on the tracks.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Picture; Jane Barlow

The boy suffered a serious leg injury. He was taken by ambulance to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary following the incident at 6pm on Friday.

He is thought to have been injured when a freight train was stopped for a red light.

A spokeswoman for British Transport Police: “We were called to the line near Whitehall Road, Dalkeith, following reports that a 13-year-old boy had been injured.

“Officers attended and established the teenager had received an electric shock from an overhead cable, possibly after being on top of a freight train.

Picture; Jane Barlow

“The boy was rushed to hospital with a serious leg injury, which is not believed to be life-threatening.

“We are currently working to understand the full circumstances of what happened and how the teenager came by his injuries.”

The spokeswoman added: “We would like to take this opportunity to remind people the railway is an extremely dangerous environment.

“Parents are urged to talk to their children about the hazards and remind them to stay away from the tracks.”