NEW roadworks linked to the trams project has brought rush-hour chaos to the New Town after motorists were caught cold.
Broughton Street has been reduced to single-file traffic near the junction with York Place for up to two weeks while an existing manhole is upgraded to accommodate a new drainage connection.
Traffic queued all down Broughton Street and all along Albany Street and Abercromby Place yesterday morning after the new restriction was introduced at the weekend.
Temporary traffic lights at the junction of Albany Street and Broughton Street, installed as part of the earlier diversion when York Place first closed last summer, have also been removed.
City Centre Tory councillor Joanna Mowat said the situation was “horrendous”.
She said: “It’s an absolute guddle. I’m asking the council what we can do to make this better because it was atrocious.”
The council said the northbound carriageway of Broughton Street would be closed for up to two weeks with work being carried out from 7.30am to 10pm Monday-Friday, 9am-10pm on Saturday and 10am-8pm on Sunday,
Transport convener Lesley Hinds said the original diversion using Albany Street and Broughton Street had been removed, but many drivers were still using it.
She said: “We will continue to monitor traffic flow.”