Transgender woman guilty of Alan Williamson murder

Police arrested Young at her flat
Police arrested Young at her flat
Share this article
Have your say

A TRANSGENDER woman who stabbed her neighbour to death in a “frenzied and savage” attack, has been found guilty of murder.

A jury at the High Court in Livingston rejected a defence plea that Melissa Young should be convicted of the lesser charge of culpable homicide on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Young, 37, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 20 years.

Passing sentence, Judge Lord Boyd told her she had been convicted of a “cruel and wicked attack” on Alan Williamson.

He said: “Having murdered him you set about trying to persuade health professionals that you were suffering from diminished responsibility.

“While it’s true that you have a severe personality disorder it’s clear it played no part in what happened that night.

“You showed no remorse, in fact you told this court that you were ‘indifferent’ to his death.”

He said it would be for the parole board to decide whether she should be released on licence. The sentence was backdated to December 27 last year when she was remanded in custody.

Before the five-day trial began Young admitted killing Alan on the grounds of “abnormality of mind” but she denied murdering him.

She claimed she saw a bright light and heard voices in her head before she “flipped” and stabbed Alan 29 times.

Young – who has a tattoo of the Virgin Mary on one arm and the Devil Lucifer on the other – said the archangel Saint Michael had taken over her body and used her as an instrument of God to punish the “unclean demon”.

She attacked Alan after he rejected her Christmas present of a pair of unisex trainers and a copy of the Sun newspaper’s 2014 calendar.

Young, 37, said that if he had accepted the gifts from her she wouldn’t have stabbed him.

The jury heard that when cops arrived at her flat in Clermiston, her hands were covered in blood and Alan was lying dead behind her front door.

He had been stabbed 29 times and died from knife wounds to the heart and the main artery in his leg.

Young showed cops the murder weapon, which was covered to the hilt in blood and told them: “The power it gave me was amazing. “

Psychiatrists told the High Court at Livingston that Young – who had a sex change operation in 2002 – had multiple personality disorders, but disagreed over whether she was mentally ill.

A jury took two hours to return a majority verdict finding her guilty as charged.

The court heard Young, who was born in Dundee and brought up in Perth, snapped on Christmas Day last year.

During the trial, the jury heard a chilling 999 call in which 47-year-old Alan – who was locked in Young’s Edinburgh flat – is heard shouting: “Let me out”.

Minutes later the accused made a second call to cops confessing that she had stabbed him.

Alan died almost instantly from 12 wounds to the left side of his chest, 12 to his left upper limb and five to his left lower limb.

The largest injury on his chest, measured 7.3cm by 3.8 cm and pierced his left lung and heart.

Other knife wounds to his torso damaged his ribs and penetrated his diaphragm injuring other internal organs.

One of the injuries on his leg sliced through his femoral artery. He bled to death before paramedics could save him.

Giving evidence in her defence, Young admitted: “The knife was inserted into him by me. I don’t accept it was 29 (times).”

She claimed she was the victim of a police vendetta and suggested Alan must have caused the other wounds by stabbing himself while he was lying in her hallway

In a police interview, Young – who had a sex change operation in 2002 –compared herself to gun maniac Raoul Moat and pill-popping Hollyoaks character Nancy Osborne.

She said Alan had tried make her out to be “a pill-popping lunatic” by hiding her possessions, including her house keys.

Edinburgh City Council support worker Maxine Tait, 46 said Alan had described the accused as “a nutter” and had claimed he had to jump from her balcony several months beforehand after she locked him in her flat and threatened him with a knife.

Jim Keegan QC, defending, said in his closing speech that doctors had revealed that his client was liable to “violent and dangerous outbursts”.

He added: “This can only have been a frenzied and savage attack. It’s a very tragic case.”