Tributes to OAP who died after Morningside attack

The 85-year-old was attacked on Morningside Grove. Picture: Scott Louden
The 85-year-old was attacked on Morningside Grove. Picture: Scott Louden
Have your say

Neighbours have paid tribute to an 85-year-old woman who died after being stabbed in her home.

Eleanor Whitelaw, from Morningside Grove, was found by her husband when he returned from a trip to the shops on July 11.

The pensioner suffered serious injuries, including blunt force trauma to her chest and face, stab wounds to her body and a cut to her neck, and died at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary on Monday night, leaving a community devastated.

A man appeared in court earlier this week charged with attempted murder, but police said the incident was now being treated as murder.

It is understood Mrs Whitelaw was the mother of Prof Bruce Whitelaw of the Roslin Institute in Edinburgh, where Dolly the cloned sheep was created in 1996.

Violet Robertson, 74, has sent Mrs Whitelaw a Christmas card every year since they became neighbours.

“She was a nice lady and her grandchildren would always come visit her,” she said. “We used to talk on the bus when she went to do her shopping.”

Jean Brown, 83, had known the “really nice couple” since 1986 and said: “I feel really sorry for the husband because he’s had to really look after her for a while.

“She was one of those people that if she saw you in the street she would always talk to you – she was very friendly.”

A strong police presence was visible outside the couple’s house yesterday, with residents stopping to leave flowers and other tributes.

Reverend Dr Derek Browning, minister of Morningside Parish Church, said: “When distressing tragedies like these happen – in any community – our first thoughts should be with the family that has been directly affected.

“I am sure the thoughts and prayers of everyone in Morningside are with the Whitelaw family.”

Robert Buczek, 23, was charged with attempted murder and assault to severe injury and danger of life when he appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Monday.

He made no plea or declaration and was remanded in custody.