Tributes to OAP who died in Musselburgh Tesco crash

The scene of the crash at Tesco Musselburgh. Pic: Ian Georgeson
The scene of the crash at Tesco Musselburgh. Pic: Ian Georgeson
Have your say

TRIBUTES have been paid to a pensioner who died from his injuries after being hit in a supermarket car park in East Lothian earlier this month.

William Watters, 68, was packing his shopping into the boot of his car outside the Tesco store in Musselburgh on October 10 when he was knocked down by a car that had been shunted in a four-vehicle smash.

Robber appeared to be armed with handgun.Picture: Ian Georgeson

Robber appeared to be armed with handgun.Picture: Ian Georgeson

The incident happened about 10.25am at the Olive Bank Road supermarket.

The retired coal merchant from Prestonpans was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary by ambulance after suffering serious head and leg injuries in the incident. He passed away at the weekend.

It is understood the incident involved a motorist crashing into another vehicle, which then resulted in two parked cars being shunted into the man.

An unidentified family member posted a touching tribute on Facebook on Friday, saying: “It gives me sad news to let my friends know about my Uncle William, who has been in hospital after the incident at Tescos. Sadly he passed away today – more tears.”

Poignant messages were also posted by others on the social media site paying tribute to Mr Watters.

Tesco worker Tricia Sutherland said: “I’m so sorry for you and your family’s loss. There have been customers asking how your uncle’s progress was coming along and everyone from Tescos (sic) thoughts are with you and your family.

“From one good friend to another I send you buckets of hugs.”

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “Police Scotland Lothian and Scottish Borders can confirm that a 68-year-old man who was seriously injured in a road traffic accident in Musselburgh earlier this month has succumbed to his injuries.

“A report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal in due course.”

Firefighters who rushed to help the trapped pensioner soon after the incident had to stabilise the two vehicles to stop them from causing him any other injury.

Mr Watters had been given oxygen until the ambulance service arrived.

He remained conscious while receiving treatment at the scene, with emergency crews taking about 45 minutes to free Mr Watters and get him to ERI. Musselburgh East and Carberry ward member Councillor John Caldwell said his thoughts went out to Mr Watters’ family.