THREE teenage boys have been charged by police and expelled from a city high school following a degrading attack on another pupil.
It is understood that the terrified victim was subjected to an obscene act by one pupil while two others restrained him.
The incident, which is believed to have followed a PE lesson, was reported to the police on Tuesday, February 2.
The trio, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were then charged and reported to the Children’s Panel.
The headteacher was said to be “absolutely furious” and all three teenagers – two aged 14 and another aged 15 – were expelled as soon as he became aware of the vile assault. Their parents were also summoned to the school to hear about the incident before their children were formally expelled.
The parent council and city council insisted that the school – which also cannot be named – had a zero-tolerance approach to bullying.
But one mother, who claimed to have removed her daughter from the school last year because of bullying, said more needed to be done.
She added: “After speaking to some of the children involved in making my daughter’s life utter misery, my daughter’s guidance teacher called me to say that she believed the situation had been inflamed by speaking to the bullies and she thought it best to move my daughter.
“I can’t believe the mess they made in handling the situation. I don’t believe anything has improved and it’s just a matter of time before a child is seriously injured.
“I know the headteacher and I believe he is very good, but I think that there is no proper training or consistent approach in dealing with bullying.”
The latest incident comes a week after the Evening News reported that a 14-year-old schoolboy was caught with a knife at a separate city high school just days after he allegedly threatened to stab another pupil.
A spokesman for Police Scotland said: “We received a report of an assault against a pupil at a secondary school in Edinburgh on February 2. Following an investigation led by local officers, three male pupils aged 14, 14 and 15 were subsequently charged and reported to the Children’s Panel.
“Assaults of any nature are treated with the utmost seriousness and we will investigate all reports that are passed to us.”
A spokeswoman for the city council said: “Bullying is unacceptable and schools will always take complaints about it very seriously. Allegations of bullying are investigated and support plans are in place to help those who are affected.
“Anyone found to have been involved in this type of behaviour will be dealt with by the school and, if appropriate, by the police.”
A spokesman for the parent council added: “I cannot comment on any individual isolated incident. However, what I can say is that bullying is not tolerated at the school. ”