A WALLABY had to be rescued after its enclosure at Edinburgh Zoo caught fire.
Firefighters rushed to the zoo after receiving an emergency call shortly after 4.30pm yesterday.
They attended to a blaze in the roof area of a single-storey animal house and extinguished the fire using a high-pressure hose reel.
Crews said that one male adult wallaby – a small-to-medium sized marsupial native to Australia and its nearby islands – was treated at the zoo for smoke inhalation by an on-site vet.
There were no reports of human casualties.