We just want to know the truth

Have your say

The family of an Edinburgh man who died while on holiday in Spain today spoke of their agonising struggle to find out what happened to him.

New father Chris Lindsay, 34, vanished while on holiday with colleagues on the Costa del Sol and was said to have been later found with severe injuries.

It was reported that doctors believed the marketing worker was the victim of a savage assault.

But three weeks later, his family still do not know whether there is going to be a criminal investigation.

Mr Lindsay had been having drinks with his colleagues from the Marketing Company in Glasgow on Saturday, October 1, when he became separated from them.

His girlfriend, Vikki Solomon, with whom Chris has a four-month-old son, Jude, received a call from a Spanish hospital on Tuesday, October 4, to tell her he was in a critical condition.

Chris died on October 7, with the official cause recorded as liver failure. His body was returned to the UK yesterday.

His father, Harry Lindsay, 63, a care worker, said: “We have tried speaking to the Spanish police but they will not give us any information – everything is very slow and unhelpful.

“Our frustration will just have to wait for now. We need to put things aside until after the funeral and then we will have to get our heads around everything.”

He said the family have had some comfort as, after weeks of trying to find out, they were finally told how Chris arrived at the hospital after receiving an e-mail from the British Consulate in Malaga yesterday.

“He was found just before 6am on Sunday morning unconscious by the police. They then contacted the ambulance service. Chris arrived at hospital 40 minutes later,” Mr Lindsay said.

“All we know about what happened to him is hearsay. We had been told Chris was unconscious when he arrived at the hospital and that when he did come round, he spoke to a member of staff and said he was attacked.

“Chris got to hospital as an unknown person as he did not have any identification with him. He must have had his passport with him, as it was not in his room, but it has never been found.

“He was in the hospital for two days before we knew anything about what had happened.”

Chris is to be buried on Saturday.

A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: “We can confirm the death of a British national in Spain on October 7. We are continuing to provide consular assistance to the family.”