EIGHT homes had to be evacuated last night after abandoned furniture was deliberately set alight in a common close.
Four residents were treated for smoke inhalation at the Murrayburn Green following the fire which was started at round 9pm.
Police have launched an appeal for witnesses and are keen to speak to anyone with information that can help them trace those responsible.
Inspector David Ferguson of Corstorphine Police Station said: “Thankfully no-one was seriously injured in this incident but it could have been much worse.
“I am keen to hear from anyone who was in the area around 9pm last night and who might have information that can assist us with our inquiries.
“I’d also like to remind residents not to leave items of furniture or rubbish in communal areas where they can be a target for fire-raising.”
“Anyone with information is asked to contact officers on 101 or via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Meanwhile, crews also tackled a place at 8.55pm on Somerset Place in Leith, was sparked when a television burst into flames in a living room and saw one of the occupants taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary with smoke inhalation.