Man ‘signed court bomb threat letter in own name’

Edinburgh Sheriff Court.
Edinburgh Sheriff Court.

Police had little difficulty in tracing a man who sent a letter threatening to petrol bomb Edinburgh Sheriff Court and shoot a Sheriff and Procurator Fiscal, as he gave his name in the letter.


200 Voices: find out more about the people who have shaped Scotland

The letter from 24-year old Michael Grady, who is presently serving a 20 month sentence in Addiewell, arrived in the court in Chambers Street on January 20 last year and he was arrested the following month.

Grady pled guilty in March this year to behaving in a threatening or abusive manner by sending the letter and sentence was deferred until today (April 6) for a Social Work Report..

Fiscal Depute, Kim Schofield, had told Sheriff Norman McFadyen that a court official opened the letter which read: “Hi Ya, this letter is for the judge or P.F.. I am writing this letter to say if I am found guilty, as soon as I get out, I will petrol boom the court and will be putting bullets through use”

“If not me, then someone else, but trust me it will happen.

“So, if you know what’s good for you, watch your back and I am brave enough to give you my name, Michael Grady.

“You are f.....g me. Use will dee.

“F..k The Crown and Polis”

Defence solicitor, Kenneth Cloggie, told Sheriff McFadyen that his client was presently serving a 20 month sentence.

His offending related to substance misuse and was completely devoid of violence. Grady, he said had been acting idiotically. “His action was puerile” he said “He gave his name”.

Sheriff McFadyen told Grady that the court took a most serious view of any threats to harm anyone.

However, he added, that as Grady was serving a sentence and had been in custody for this matter for some time, the starting point for sentence was 30 months, but he reduced that to 24 months because of the guilty plea.

The sentence is consecutive to the 20 months sentence.

Sheriff McFadyen also placed Grady on a 12 month Supervised Release Order for 12 months to protect the public from serious harm.