Police name two men found dead after speedboat hunt

Rescuers found debris from the plane two miles off the coast of Skipness in Argyll and Bute on Thursday.
Rescuers found debris from the plane two miles off the coast of Skipness in Argyll and Bute on Thursday.

The two men found dead after a speedboat went missing off the coast of Dumfries and Galloway have been named by police.

The bodies of Sandy Hamilton, 35, and Kevin James McKinlay, 46, were recovered from the Irish Sea on Sunday following a large-scale search. Both men were from Larkhall in South Lanarkshire.

The coastguard was alerted on Saturday evening when the boat was reported overdue from Port Logan.

The pair had launched their speedboat from the village at about 9am on Saturday and were believed to be heading towards Stranraer on a leisure trip. Their disappearance sparked a major search over the weekend involving the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, the RNLI and Police Scotland.

The families of Mr Hamilton, of Clydeview Cottages, Ashgill, and Mr McKinlay, from Rosslyn Road, have been kept informed of the developments.

READ MORE: A75 fatal crash victims named

Chief Inspector Mark Hollis said: “We still don’t know what may have happened or not at this stage.”

He said that conditions far out at sea could “change dramatically” even when the water was calm inshore.

“It may well just be the case that the men have come into difficulties further off shore,” he added.

“I wouldn’t want to discourage anybody from using the magnificent facilities that we have got around our coastline.

“But the thing for me is always about making sure that you are well kitted out and well suited to do that.

“Make sure that your boat, your equipment and everything else that might be associated with that is fit for purpose.”

A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal, police said.

READ MORE: Panel of Scottish Diaspora tapestry stolen from St Giles

The speedboat incident happened just hours before a young man died in a jet ski accident on Loch Lomond.

Stuart McLevy, 21, was a passenger on the jet ski and fell into the water at about 9:15pm on Saturday near the island of Inchmurrin.

The 37-year-old driver of the jet ski tried to help Mr McLevy from the water before other boats in the area managed to take both men back to shore in Balloch.

They were rushed to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley where the 21-year-old, from Hawick Street in Yoker, Glasgow, died.

The jet ski driver was treated for minor injuries suffered when trying to help Mr McLevy from the water and has since been released from hospital.

Police Scotland said inquiries are ongoing to determine exactly what happened and officers are appealing for information.

Inspector John McMillan said: “One man has died and another man is receiving treatment following this incident. We understand

Stuart McLevy fell from the jet ski and entered the water. The 37-year-old man who was driving also entered the water and attempted to assist.

“Other individuals who were also on the water on private vessels quickly came to the aid of both men and brought them back to shore at the Duncan Mills Memorial Slipway at Balloch where paramedics could take over.

“At this time I am appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident from the shoreline to contact officers at Dumbarton Police Station via 101. Our inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances surrounding this