Shaun Woodburn killer jailed for four years

A teenager who killed a junior footballer after a disturbance outside a bar has been locked up for four years.

The 17-year-old punched Shaun Woodburn, 30, who later died after suffering massive head injuries.

Shaun Woodburn was killed in an attack in Edinburgh

Shaun Woodburn was killed in an attack in Edinburgh

The youth had earlier attacked random strangers who had been celebrating Hogmanay in Edinburgh last December 31.

This sparked a brawl outside Gladstone’s Bar in the capital’s Leith which led to Mr Woodburn being fatally injured in the early hours of New Year’s Day.

The killer was today sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow having been convicted of culpable homicide.

READ MORE: Ex-footballer Shaun Woodburn ‘lay unconscious after being punched’

Shaun Woodburn was killed after celebrating at a New Year's party

Shaun Woodburn was killed after celebrating at a New Year's party

He had originally faced a murder accusation during a trial in Dunfermline.

The teen struck despite it emerging he had come to police “attention” between 2014 and 2016 before taking part in “offence focused work”.

He had also been kicked out of his school months before the attack.

Lady Stacey described this “history” of behaviour as “worrying”.

The judge told him: “Shaun Woodburn’s family will never be the same again – perhaps most poignantly a young daughter who has been deprived of his father.

“You have to live the rest of your life with the knowledge of this young man’s death.”

The teenager will also be supervised for a further 18 months after his release.

READ MORE: Shaun Woodburn murder trial hears of fight erupting outside pub

Jurors heard how he had been out drinking and causing trouble during Hogmanay celebrations in Edinburgh.

He punched and badly injured a student who had wished him a “Happy New Year”.

The 17-year-old was then part of a group who attacked a man who had just left Gladstone’s Bar.

News of this incident then reached the pub owned by the father of Hibs star Danny Swanson.

The footballer had been in the bar along with friends including Mr Woodburn.

Trouble erupted on the street – Mr Woodburn was one of those who had gone outside.

As several fights broke out, he was punched causing him to fall to the ground.

The teenager denied causing the death, but did admit assaulting five other people in Edinburgh that night.

Derek Ogg QC, defending, said the killer had shown “undoubted remorse” for his conduct.

The court heard the teen thug had been a “mentor” to other young prisoners while on remand.

Co-accused Mohammed Zakariyah, 19, was ordered to carry out 240 hours of unpaid work.

He had pled guilty to two assaults and a breach of the peace in connection with that night.