Workman falls to death while renovating New Town flat

The scene on Fettes Row. Picture: contributed
The scene on Fettes Row. Picture: contributed

A WORKMAN has died after a horror fall from a flat in the New Town.


Fettes Road. Picture; Google

Fettes Road. Picture; Google

It is understood that the 56-year-old man was carrying out restoration work on a flat when he fell around 40ft to his death.

Police and emergency services rushed to Fettes Row shortly after 10am yesterday morning to reports of an injured man found behind the terrace.

He was still alive though critically injured when found but later died from the injuries sustained in the fall.

Officers are still investigating the death which is being treated as non-suspicious and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

Fettes Row

Fettes Row

Witnesses said a woman from a business on Dundas Street had rushed to the side of the stricken worker to administer CPR until the ambulance arrived.

Fettes Row was sealed off to traffic at the western junction with Dundas Street, with uniformed officers standing guard on a door to the flats for several hours.

Witnesses also reported seeing a “number of police cars” and detectives descend on the quiet cobbled street not far from St Stephen’s Stockbridge.

One horrified neighbour, who did not wish to be named, reported hearing a noise and then seeing the body of a man on the ground when he looked through his back window.

He added: “I didn’t see anything but I thought something had fallen off - a shelf or something.

“But at the time I didn’t pay and heed to it.

“One of the staff from the vet’s office just around the corner came running around and started going to the basement flat pounding on the door so I knew something was wrong.

“I looked out of the back window and saw the body of a man laying in the basement area. I could see that he was wearing a sweatshirt with a local business’s name on.

“I assume he was one of the workmen. I estimated that he must have fallen around 40ft onto concrete.

“It didn’t look like he was suffering, and he certainly wasn’t conscious.”

A worker from the Rag & Bone Barbershop on the corner of Fettes Row and Dundas Street said a local worker had administered CPR before the ambulances arrived.

Police said they were unable to confirm where the man had fallen from as they continued to investigate to establish the full circumstances of the incident.

A spokeswoman from the force said: “The man was found injured behind buildings on Fettes Row.

“Emergency services attended, however the man later succumbed to his injuries.

“Enquiries are currently ongoing, but the circumstances are not believed to be suspicious. A report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.”