Man tells court how he found girlfriend lying dead

Leighanne Cameron'. Picture: contributed
Leighanne Cameron'. Picture: contributed
Have your say

A MAN has told a court how he found his girlfriend lying lifeless on her living room floor as her children slept upstairs.

Philip Kilkenny, 42, said Leighanne Cameron, 29, was already dead when he entered her house in Mid Calder on October 28 last year.

And he said that her children, who were four and 18 months old at the time, were asleep in their bedroom.

Ms Cameron’s estranged husband Erhan Havaleoglu is on trial at the High Court in Paisley accused of her murder.

He denies the claim and has lodged a special defence of incrimination – blaming the murder on Mr Kilkenny.

Havaleoglu, 36, has also pleaded not guilty to assaulting three other women over the course of eight years.

Yesterday, Mr Kilkenny denied he was responsible, breaking down in tears as he told the jury of the moment he found his girlfriend’s body.

The glass technician said he had been working during the day before visiting Ms Cameron’s home.

He said: “I opened the living room door – I saw Leighanne lying on the floor. She was lying on her front, facing the door.

“There was a lot of blood all around her. Her glasses were in her right hand.

“I just screamed out her name a few times.”

Mr Kilkenny’s 999 call was played to the court, in which he could be heard telling the operator he had found Ms Cameron dead. The court heard that officers quickly arrived at the property and that he was restrained.

Mr Kilkenny said this was because he started to lose his temper as officers were shouting at him, and revealed that his relationship with Ms Cameron had been kept secret because she was scared 
Havaleoglu would try to take her children away.

The court also heard that Ms Cameron had placed a tracking device on Havaleoglu’s mobile phone so she knew of his whereabouts. The court heard the tracking device revealed Havaleoglu, who had been looking after his children in Ms Cameron’s home on the day she died, left to return to a homeless hostel at about 8.20pm.

Mr Kilkenny said he saw Havaleoglu leaving and entered the house a short time later, but the court heard he did not call 999 until 9.27pm.

He insisted he was telling the truth about the circumstances of her death.

Ian Duguid QC, defending, asked Mr Kilkenny if he caught Havaleoglu fighting with Ms Cameron on the night of her death and if she was alive when her husband left.

Kilkenny said: “No, I never went into the house that night when he was there.”

Duguid then asked: “Are you responsible for Leighanne’s death?”

Kilkenny replied: “No.”

Leighanne’s father, David, told the court of his final conversation with his daughter, which took place shortly before she died. He said he spoke to her as she drove home from work and warned her she may need to phone the police.

When told she had sent a text to Mr Kilkenny that day, which said “He [Erhan Havaleoglu] better not start when I get in. I think I’ll batter him”, her dad said: “It would’ve been said tongue in cheek more than anything, knowing Leighanne.”

The trial continues.