Virtually car-less streets, horses pulling carts laden with beer barrels and washing hanging on pulleys from windows.
In 1923 Edinburgh Corporation Tramways operated its last cable-hauled tram. Calton jail closed in 1926 and in 1928 the citys first traffic lights were installed at Broughton Street. (George Street)
A major fire saw the Garrick Theatre in Grove Street burned down in 1921. But the Empire Theatre (pictured) in Nicolson Street reopened after a year-long refurbishment on October 1, 1928, with Showboat as its opening attraction.
And the Playhouse at the top of Leith Walk opened in August 1929 as a super-cinema modelled on the Roxy Cinema in New York. (Greyfriars Bobby in late 1921)