'Left with the clothes I stood up in' - Neighbours tell of narrow escape from Guthrie Street blast 30 years ago

Eighteen-year-old Nicky Macintyre, who lived in a first floor flat with her one-year-old daughter, was left with ‘nothing but the clothes she stood up in’ by the Guthrie Street gas explosion on October 4 1989.

Friday, 4th October 2019, 4:00 pm
Updated Friday, 4th October 2019, 5:00 pm
Scenes from the gas explosion of October 4 1989.

Luckily, Ms Macintyre had been staying at her parents flat on Nicholson Square while they were away on holiday, and was not in the building at the time.

She heard the sound of the explosion, but thought it was ‘just a car backfiring or something,” she said.

“I thought it was nothing, I didn’t think it would be my flat,” she said.

Ms Macintyre later ‘wandered down’ to see what the commotion had been, and was shocked to realise the scale of the damage, and that the disaster had happened in her own building.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“It was surreal,” she said. “I thought ‘oh my God, that’s my house’.”

Read More

Read More
'I thought I was going to die' - Guthrie Street gas blast survivor speaks of being 'buried alive' 30 years on

But that meant her parents were not in the city and could not contact her.

“I was so worried Mum and Dad would see it on the news in Ibiza, we didn’t have mobile phones back then so they were frantic," she said.

The day after the explosion residents of the building were given ten minutes by emergency service workers to search through the rubble for belongings.

But before it came to Ms Macintyre’s turn, the building collapsed and they were ushered out of harm’s way.

“It was dark and eerie, and I could hear a rustling noise. It was very scary,” she said.

Ms Macintyre had moved into the flat with her toddler just six months before the blast.

It was the first flat she had lived away from home.

Ms Macintyre and her daughter Leah were rehoused in Tron Square by Edinburgh City Council, and received £1000 in compensation from various sources to replace the belongings they had lost.