Inside the Mecca Empire bingo hall in Nicolson Street Edinburgh, October 1979

Wetherspoon pub to open in Edinburgh's Empire Bingo - here's how it has changed over the years

The former Empire Bingo Hall on Nicolson Street in Edinburgh has gone through many different guises in its long history.

Following the news that the historic site is set to be converted into a huge Wetherspoons pub, here's a look back at it former uses over the decades, from theatre to adult cinema to bingo hall.

Originally called La Scala Electric Theatre when it opened in 1912, by the mid-1970s the building had changed to the Classic Cinema and began to show adult films

1. Former theatre and cinema

Originally called La Scala Electric Theatre when it opened in 1912, by the mid-1970s the building had changed to the Classic Cinema and began to show adult films
TSPL
Buy a Photo
Charred and water-damaged fittings from the Classic Cinema lie in Nicolson Street after a fire in April 1979

2. Disrepair

Charred and water-damaged fittings from the Classic Cinema lie in Nicolson Street after a fire in April 1979
TSPL
Buy a Photo
Nicolson Street as it looked in the 1960s

3. 1960s

Nicolson Street as it looked in the 1960s
TSPL
Buy a Photo
The gambling game grew in popularity in the late 1970s

4. Two fat ladies

The gambling game grew in popularity in the late 1970s
TSPL
Buy a Photo
View more